It is no secret that higher education faculty are pulled in a multitude of directions. Faculty members are busier than ever at a time when teaching and student learning is more visible and more complex. It is also true that most faculty have not been provided with a formal background in teaching and learning methods and this aspect of their work can cause the most stress.
I love helping college faculty be intentional in their teaching practice so that they can feel calm and purposeful in this aspect of their work. Throughout all of my work, I hope to instill a sense of clarity in teaching, so that even when students resist or struggle, instructors can feel confident that they have designed the best plans for bringing forth meaningful student learning.
Interested in scheduling a webinar? View my current Webinar Topics
Highlights of my work
I enjoy visiting institutions to support faculty in their teaching practice.
Recent talk/ workshops topics:
- The Nuts and Bolts of Experiential Learning: Scaffolding Project Design and Critical Reflection into Your Activities
- Grading Zen
- The Reflective Discussion
- Purposeful Teaching: Choosing and using different ways of learning for effective instruction
- Teaching for critical thinking, problem solving, and skill development
- Teaching Evaluation: Can we measure what really matters?
Recent visits include:
- Marywood University
- San Juan College
- Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Delta State University
- University of Colorado at Boulder
My co-authored book is a comprehensive overview of the most common teaching practices in higher education.
Visit sevenwaysoflearning.org to learn more.
Listen to an interview about the book with The Professional Adjunct Podcast
Keynote talks based on this book presented at:
- Original Lilly Conference in Ohio
- Teaching 4 Learning Inter-mountain Consortium Conference
- Lilly Conference in Anaheim
- LOEX Annual Conference
- Des Moines Area Community Colleges
- Murray State
- USAFA SoTL Forum
I love to explore and synthesize the literature about teaching and learning and share best practices.
Explore the ICT Blog for recent posts including Equity-Based Teaching Practices We Can Adopt Immediately
Make the most of reporting out after group work, Faculty Focus Blog
Turning Good Intentions into Good Teaching: Five Common Principles for Culturally Responsive Pedagogy, Hailu, Mackey, Pan & Arend (2016) In Rojas-Primus & Perez Promoting Intercultural Communication Competencies in Higher Education.
Connecting the Disconnect Between Class Time and Course Readings, Faculty Focus Blog
Turning participation grades into self-directed learning opportunities, The Teaching Professor Newsletter
My scholarship interests include the evaluation of teaching, the role of reflection in learning, and teaching methods broadly with a SOTL focus.
Currently leading an International Collaborative Writing Group for the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL), exploring instructor and student perceptions of critical reflection.
Co-PI on a study exploring the promotion process for Non-Tenure Track Faculty.
- The Legitimization of Non-Tenure Track Faculty through the Promotion Process, presented at ASHE 2019
- Ill-Defined Borders: Defining Non-Tenure Track Teaching Identity, presented at ISSOTL 2019
White Paper about alternative methods for evaluating teaching – Towards a Comprehensive Teaching Evaluation Framework: A Summary of the Literature, Recommendations, and Examples
Editorial Board Member for:
• Journal on Excellence in College Teaching (JECT)
• Learning Communities Journal (LCJ)
• Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching and Learning (JRITL)
I currently teach part-time with the Morgridge College of Education and University College at the University of Denver.
Current courses include:
- HED 4215: Curriculum Development and Teaching Strategies in Higher Education
- COMM 4203: Adult Learning Theory and Training Strategies
- LOS 3250: Learning in Organizations
- COMM 4002: Effective Presentation and Facilitation
I occasionally serve as an external evaluator or consultant, specializing in qualitative evaluation methods for education innovations and interventions
Recent clients and partnerships:
- West Virginia University GAUSSI grant for Engineering students
- Partnership4Equity Multi-institutional NSF grant on diversity & inclusion in Engineering & Computer Science
- Colorado State University Vice President for Diversity Campus Climate Survey
I am honored to have won the 2012 POD Innovation Award for the development of a successful Online New Faculty Workshop